Saturday, January 28, 2012

A little Snarky in the Parky lot...

Not the actual culprit, but if you're the guy on the right,
I'm not afraid to be the guy on the left!
I work at a large complex on International Drive that hosts many, many tourist-oriented shops, restaurants, clubs, etc, and because you can't actually park your car anywhere on (what we call) "I-Drive" this complex has a parking garage attached.

Part of my daily routine involves entering and driving around this parking garage in search of a spot to park my car of course. It's not always easy to find a spot, and proportional to Murphy's Law, the later I am for work the fewer spaces seem available.

I've learned to never go to the higher floors anymore - it's too easy to get lost and forget where I parked. Rather, I've found it's much better to just keep circling the first floor, if no spots are readily available. Someone will leave fairly soon.

So, the one space I actually manage to find recently, is next to an SUV who has parked about a foot over the line, and the family is still disembarking. I think to myself, "I can get in there." Well I'm one of those "back-into the parking space" types that you probably love to hate. I generally find it easier to pull out, than to back out of a spot; that, and Triple A says it's safer too... so nyah. Anyways, I cruise by the family while they walk away, and much to the dad's surprise, I immediately start backing in while he eyes me to make sure I'm not going to hit his car.

I'm kind of good at backing in these days, and while I can indeed squeeze in to the spot without "scraping" either vehicle, I'm leaving only about 3-6 inches between my passenger side, and the SUV's driver side as I slowly, gently proceed to back all the way in. Without caring to, apparently I've gotten the guy's full attention now.

He comes rushing back the 20 feet he and his family have walked and asks me, almost yelling because my window is up "Uhhh, can you get in?"

Stupid question, considering I already am in. I roll down my window and reply "Oh I can get in. I don't know how you're going to get out, but I can get in just fine" and continue on the last foot of my journey.

Then he takes out his keys and kind of pleads, "Here, let me give you some more room..."

As if I needed more room, haha.

I think "Lucky for him, I'm not late for work," pull out again, and give him the time to adjust his vehicle.

Then as we all walked away from the spot almost together it hits me, and I can't help but watch them all rather intently as they walk toward their destination. Sure... "Lucky for him I'm not late for work.." but after clocking in I think to myself

"Lucky for me they're not sitting in my section right now."

6 comments:

  1. OK, well... it's settled. I now can say with 99% certainty that I'll never eat out again. With all these passive-aggressive waiters in the world, who can trust the food anymore???

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :::chuckle:::: hope he learned and was wiser next time. (I did something similar with a goofus who took my RESERVED parking place where I used to live. I just pulled up right behind him, left just shy of an inch between our vehicle's bumpers. He managed to get out somehow (there were shrubs in front of his car instead of a wall), but he never took my place again. Hmph.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are backing in, how did you end up with your passenger door against his driver's door?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, they had too. Sorry left that out it wasn't like the picture I found to illustrate it

    ReplyDelete
  5. every time i have any kind of slightly awkward or mildly confrontational interaction with anyone coming in the restaurant they are going to be in my section, without fail.

    ReplyDelete