Friday, April 29, 2011

86 Ruby



Whoa. I lost a co-worker last night. Canned. Fired. 86'd. Extended the left foot of fellowship...

Without too much detail, the two stories I heard first had to with him using a manger's computer code (which he should not have known - much less USED even if "okay, fine" he did know it) to either (a) cut a corner and save some time, or (b) use that same code to possibly steal from the restaurant.

Both are bad. Certain "improper procedures" can definitely get you in trouble, or perhaps fired. Cutting corners happens, but often backfires, I've found. And stealing.. well ... there exists an enormously tempting variety of ways to steal from most restaurants. The thing is, those above you have usually thought of them, personally done them, and/or seen them pulled a few times before you ever tried it, and are now watching for that clever idea you thought you alone figured out to be played out. Again. In short, any manager worth even half of his or her paycheck will eventually figure out what you're up to. And you will be 86'd as a result, every time.

I'm not even going to tell you that I've never stolen from an employer myself in fact. (Or stolen "back" I considered it, for a reason that I at the time felt was justified - perhaps I'll share such details another day.) But it was long ago, and I'm not proud of it either. I've also personally seen time and again that no matter how easy it seems to pocket a little extra cash at work... (a) that it will be found out if you do it with any regularity, and (b) that you always stand to earn more by keeping your job honestly, than you will ever be able to steal before you're found out.

I understand the temptation tho, and feel sorry for those that fall prey to it. And maybe just a tad more sorry for those that get caught.

Like Ruby (not his real name) for instance ... He's been here for years. Heck, the guy helped train me my first week here, and has additionally taught me quite a bit about our products. Whatever the truth of the matter is, I genuinely hope he lands on his feet. 

In honor of Ruby - who's most likely pounding the pavement visiting multiple area restaurants - I thought I'd likewise offer you some reading material (blogs) from servers at other restaurants too, coming up next time. 

Turns out this "blogging about restaurant work" is a niche that I am but one (new, minor, unknown) voice in....

No comments:

Post a Comment