Friday, April 22, 2011

Ladies from HELL & The Worst Day EVER

"Can I get you anything ELSE?!?"


I am bordering dangerously closely today to crossing the line and breaking my own rule about not complaining about my customers in this blog.

In fact, several hours ago while living this situation (and yes, while kind of writing about it in my head... I do that a lot now), I had already decided that I WAS going to break this rule and just totally "Grrrrrr!" RANT ! Today (Real-time btw, not 3 months ago) was the kind of day that turns waiters into stress-buckets, alcoholics, people who are completely indifferent to your needs, and who are smart-alecks, a-holes and people-haters.

But I've chilled out since then. I'm off, have run some errands (the bank, post office, Wal-Mart) and am home now with the work-day hours behind me. I only want to share the story with you because the particular details are so unbelievable as to be laughable. Seriously, go ahead.. Relax, and get some laughs at my expense. This one's on me.

The FIRST irony is that I ended my last blog entry with how I couldn't wait to "show this place what I've got." In contrast, I can only hope that even the people who witnessed my job performance today (especially management) will soon forget about it. Because I totally sucked. I was two or three steps behind where I needed to be the whole afternoon. The Biblically-based phrase that "Pride comes before the fall" (more detail)  is quite applicable to me today, because apparently I needed a painful day like this to keep me humble.

The second irony is that early on, I was planning about maybe writing (if at all) about what a great day today was. I mean, I came in a few minutes before 10am, my other "opening" co-workers were likewise early or on-time for once and already setting up so I had an easy start. The kitchen manager asks "Are you hungry?" and points to the French Toast, eggs and bacon he's made for us today. Yes, I work somewhere that does that for us occasionally - twice a week, at least - they call it "family meal." So from all early indications I'm already thinking "Wow! Best day ever!"

It's been kind of slow lately, but I get the good news that I have an "8-top" (party of eight) reservation at Noon which is awesome, because here 8 or more means an automatic 18% gratuity is added to the check (which should be pretty big given that many people. And in case you didn't know.. I'm a waiter, which means that I live and pay my bills - or not - on a percentage of how much people actually eat and spend). So an 8-top reservation means that I'm looking to make quite a few bucks on this otherwise slow day.

Gee, could this day get ANY better?

The answer to that question would be "NO... No, it's only going to get worse from here."

Continued in Part 2 .. Probably tonight ..

If you haven't already, enter your e-mail to subscribe.

brb

No comments:

Post a Comment