Thursday, April 7, 2011

STIFFED! I Got Stiffed!!!

"Stiffed" means that the last night I worked, I had a group of three people who wrote in "$0" on their debit card voucher as my tip, on an over $200 tab.

Now, one of my ground rules for this blog is that I'm not here to complain about my guests or my tips (it's in the header) ... right?

I want you to know that I'm keeping that commitment. If this were about complaining, I would title this something more like "WHY EUROPEANS SUCK!!!" and every (American) restaurant person would probably be chiming in, in agreement with me on this. 

However, that would make this blog and myself about as lame as the many other restaurant rants and ranters out there. Not to mention, if that were my overall style, doing so would probably seriously diminish my readership - fast. I mean, you don't click these things because you want to hear me complain, do you?

I thought not.

No, what I'm actually wanting to share with you is the admission that I *KNOW* exactly why they stiffed me (at least I'm pretty sure I do). Yup, based upon my many years in this business, I know the exact mistake I made and why it's kinda my own damn fault.

Not what you were expecting, huh?

Also, just for informational value to those who don't know these things (i.e., non-restaurant people, most likely) I'll also share why this error not only cost me the $30-$40 tip I might have hoped for, but did you know that in our world, when a server gets stiffed, it usually costs them money? Yep, this table that stiffed me cost me about $11 out of my own pocket.

Seriously - rather than profiting, I literally paid $11 for "the pleasure" of waiting on them.

Which means all-told (potential tip income plus out-of-pocket expenses) what I'm going to be sharing with you is about a $50 lesson for me, that I apparently had to re-learn. Again dammit.

And I'll be sharing this with you, for free, in the next episode of Guy's Work Blog. So if finding out what I *know* my crucial mistake was (and how if you're also a server and you don't know what NEVER to do when waiting on Europeans, and such information might interest you) -OR- if you're not a server but are just curious as to how waiting on people actually costs servers money sometimes ... then stick around.

These have been kinda long lately, so I'm giving you a break. That, and I've got stuff to do.

But maybe now's the time to "follow" me so you don't miss out on this one. If you don't use these little follow apps, just enter your e-mail in that big long thingy up at top.

I'm just sayin ... Isn't it about time you committed to this relationship?

JK - But it's a journey I think you'll really enjoy, and I look forward to sharing it with you.

More later,
-g-

PS - "AND, if you act now" ... just kidding again.
Raise your hand if you think I've been hanging out with https://www.BenSettle.com too long.

1 comment:

  1. If you came here as a search result and are not a regular reader, the next page WHY I GOT STIFFED is probably more alng the lines of what you were looking for.
    -g-
    http://guysworkblog.blogspot.com/2011/04/why-i-got-stiffed.html

    ReplyDelete