Monday, March 21, 2011

Bleep My Waiter Says dept

For the record, I think the blog S*** My Dad Says is wayyy funnier than the current William Shatner TV show, which I've only seen twice. But I'm grateful for the cultural relevance touchstone the TV show has provided me to get your attention ;)

So anyways, I'm waiting on this group of six the other day. I asked - making conversation of course - and one explains to me that they are Synagogue Administrators here for a convention. (That means Jewish, for those that don't snap.) A minute later I'm going through a few appetizer recommendations for them, but find myself with a sinking feeling in my gut and stopping myself halfway through the SHRIMP description.. ("Dumbass! Okay - quick - rebound...") and I say to them

"...altho I guess that's probably not the best one to be recommending to this crowd huh?" They all politely laughed, and I earned points just for knowing that. I.E., I built a somewhat closer-than-the-average-server personal connection with them, which guests like and usually means more money in my pocket. BUT THEN...

Taking the drink order, one lady orders a Margarita, adding "No salt." I didn't even try to suppress my smile. She of course says "What?" I say, "But.. it's Kosher salt." They all fell out laughing then! So I finished with saying "Okay I think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead now." I walk away saying to myself "Denny Crainnn!!!" and they all tipped me huge.

And that kids, is how it's done.

Oh, while I haven't looked up the original blog in quite some time (it's funny, but can also vulgar), I will confess here in closing that the only reason I knew about the Bleep My Dad Says TV program is that, well... "Yes, as a matter of fact I am on William Shatner's mailing list."

Some of you probably didn't know what a big geek I am til now did ya? AND he's in Orlando this weekend appearing at http://www.MEGACONvention.com/

Stan Lee too! I am so there!

1 comment: