Saturday, March 19, 2011

Worst 1st Blog Entry Ever?

For context, a pretty regular prayer of mine either before leaving for work (or while driving in) includes asking God's help for me to be a good teammate and helper to my co-workers.  (If I hadn't told you that, this entry might seem like I was just bashing a co-worker - on top of not being very edifying (which is not the top goal of this work blog btw) - and of course would be the worst first blog entry ever. But the point is I got the chance to put that into practice today.)

Here was my morning timeline today:
9:55am Arrive for 10am opening shift. Start setting up.
10:05 Co-worker arrives for same opening set-up shift.
10:08 Co-worker starts saying (almost screaming) "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" like eight or 10 times and looking at her I-phone, after opening busser says something to her..

Apparently, the night before (which was St Patrick's Day) after about her 6th or 7th Irish Car Bomb, she had decided it was a good idea to post a picture of herself partially undressed making out with another female co-worker on her Facebook page. Something she had forgotten she did when she woke up and came to work. And apparently, at 10:08am, she decided that wasn't such a good idea after all. She was busy deleting the photo - which had 6 comments (many from co-workers) - and just generally waking up and getting over her shock, while I did probably a little more than my fair half of the work we were sharing.

11:00am Restaurant opens.
11:02am I greet the first table, which was mine
11:07am I greet her first table a few minutes after they've been sitting there because no one can find her. She was in the bathroom, I think throwing up.

3:45 I'm telling her I'll take any table(s) that come in before the night shift arrives, so she can get out early and go take a nap. Anyways, in small ways, I got to be a good teammate to someone who needed a little extra help today. Hey, we've all been there at one point or another, and I appreciate when others get my back when I need it.

Well Dear Reader, welcome to the restaurant business. These are my peers, and this is my life.

And ummm, no, I don't think I'll be letting my new co-workers friend me on FB, or see this blog ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment